Friday, February 6, 2009

The story of Alice...

There is one more story that can’t be missed. And I will go back into this blog to squeeze this amongst all that has been said so far about my time in Bali.

It’s the story of Alice…

In January, 2008, I went to the Gilis of Indonesia, off the mainland of Lombok. I was looking for a way to shake myself off and start again. On my first night in town I went to a bar with a guy I was travelling with and we started chatting up a few young Englishwomen.

As I’m talking to this girl on my right another woman waltzes up on my left and says, ‘Seriously, I think it would be rubbish.’

Meet Alice.

Alice is a straight-talking-no-nonsense-part-time-bitch-part-time-lover. She has possibly the swiftest sense of humour I’ve come across and is one of the crazier people on the ledge I’ve met.

We kicked off our friendship with a mushroom trip. Days later we met up again (read: I stalked the island searching for her) for a DVD date and a little bit of sexual exploration. A few days later I went back to Ubud and we left it at that.

6 months later, in the story of Otis and Lulu, we picked up where we left off. Or perhaps a few parsecs on from where we left off. For 10 days we shared romance, laughter, sexual connection and chemistry, first on the Gilis again and then back in Ubud together.

We entertained the concept of a relationship. But around about August a 36 hour nightmare journey to the Gilis showed us that we’re better off as friends.

Now she is a great friend and I hope that her quick wit, her bitch-side, her no-nonsense approach to life and her ability to listen to me through my fog remain in my life for as long as life remains in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment